since my last post and I feel a literary lethargy and general rustiness which must be expunged. So much has happened it is hard to know where to start so a general update is required:
– December came and went in a blur. We started the festive season with the fantastic Food Wine Design show in Hyde Park and things went from strength to strength thereafter.
– The new year has kicked off with a bang and in addition to our range of cured meats we are supplying the fabulous Frankie Fenner Meat Merchants with selected cuts of fresh pork. These new arrivals are adding a whole new dimension to Kloof Street as Cape Towns food savvy carnivores flock to buy the cut of the week and see what Andy is wearing today. Their sandwiches are also growing a cult following and pre orders are essential to avoid disappointment.
– The diary for this year is already nearly full and we will be at all three Good Food and Wine shows (our Durban debut) as well as the Cheese Festival in April, Constantia Food Fair in May and of course the Food Wine Design again in November.
– On a sadder note, Glen Oakes farm was affected by a fire in the region and three of our special pigs were lost. Fortunately the only other damage was to the pastures but the repairs and recovery will take months of hard work.
Ok well enough jibber jabber, I’m off to work on the Bastardo (our hottest chorizo yet) and final tweaks to our newsest bacon – oak smoked honey bacon. Gardeners Glory have supplied us with a bee hive in our garden and while Commander J waits impatiently for our first harvest we have some beautiful veld honey to use in the mean time.
– Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known – Winnie The Pooh